I love to add extra stuff to an entree to make it healthier. Kale is one of those super foods that gives any entree an extra boost. It is loaded with iron (more than beef), vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium, fiber and antioxidants. Of course, since I’m a fickle foodie, my food still has to taste good. It has to taste exceptionally good, in fact.
Today, I planned to make burgers and fries for dinner as a quick meal, but I couldn’t figure out what vegetable to add to balance the meal. Then I remembered I had a few bunches of kale in the fridge. I came up with this recipe on a whim in an effort to use up the kale in the house. I was mindful of my measurements in case it turned out really good and I wanted to share the recipe. And you know what? It turned out really great! The kids and hubby gave it a thumbs up (after getting over the fact that it is a green burger LOL).
Remember my recipes are enough to feed a family of 8 so halve the recipe if 5 pounds of turkey is way too much. Of course, you can always make extra to freeze. These burgers make a great freezer meal!
You will need:
1 bunch kale, stalks removed
1 red onion
6 cloves garlic
1 tbsp oil (I used grapeseed)
1 tbsp liquid smoke
1 1/2 tbsp garlic salt
1/2 tbsp ground pepper
5 lbs lean ground turkey
- Place kale, onion, garlic, oil and liquid smoke in blender and puree.
- In a large bowl, season turkey with garlic salt and pepper.
- Add kale mixture to turkey and mix well.
- Add eggs to turkey/kale mixture and mix well.
- Form turkey patties to desired thickness and grill or pan fry until browned on both sides.
- Serve with your favorite condiments and enjoy! (This is also great on a salad.)