Besides pancakes, hash browns are one of my favorite breakfast dishes. When I started doing the plant-based diet, this was one of the easiest things to grab for breakfast. The cafeteria at my office makes great hash browns albeit VERY greasy. If I wanted the best greasiest hash browns, I’d go all the way and stop by McDonald’s LOL! There’s no way I’d lose weight that way, so I learned to make these oil-free hash browns.
Several months ago, I had a taste for KFC potato wedges. I wanted to make them with dinner and I wanted to add a kick to it. I decided to add chili flavoring and it was a hit! That’s how I came up with the idea for chili flavored hash browns. I will admit these hash browns taste better with oil (or at least in my mind LOL). I’m not sure why as I’ve grown accustomed to making oil-free hash browns. The only thing I can think of is that the chili seasoning tastes best with oil. That probably makes no sense, but that’s all I have LOL! If you’re going for the healthiest version, reduce the oil or omit it altogether. You can also add onion or any other veggie you like. These are cooked in a manner similar to the Vegan Breakfast Hash Mash recipe I posted a while ago. Have fun with it…I may even add black beans to it next time. 😉
- 2 tbsp oil (or 1/2 cup vegetable broth if oil-free)
- 5-6 medium brown, red or yellow potatoes, quartered and cubed (skins on)
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- Heat oil on high in a large skillet.
- Add potatoes to skillet and toss to coat evenly with oil.
- Add seasonings to potatoes and toss to coat evenly.
- Continue to cook on high, tossing potatoes every 2 minutes for about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium high, cover skillet and continue to cook and toss every 2 minutes. Potatoes should brown evenly.
- Cook potatoes until they are tender enough to separate with a fork or spatula and browned with crispy edges , about 5 to 8 minutes (add more oil if needed). All oil in the pan should be absorbed.
- Serve hot and enjoy!