My sister started making ambrosia for the family when we were very young. She is an EXCELLENT cook. As a kid, I always looked forward to her sweet concoctions because she never disappointed. At that time, I wasn’t the least bit interested in cooking. I was happy to let her and my mom have the kitchen while my stomach indulged their handiwork. 🙂
It wasn’t until I became a mom, albeit a young, teenage mom, that I all of a sudden wanted to be the black Martha Stewart LOL! It’s like pregnancy ignited the independent yet domestic part of me and all I wanted to do was “bring home the bacon and fry it up in a pan.”
This is one of the first recipes I started making that I could recall from my childhood days. I never got my hand on my sister’s recipe, but this one is pretty darn close. Over the years, my sister would switch up the fruits with bananas, apples, etc. I always liked the original better (probably because I hate fresh bananas). Feel free to add whatever fruit you like or remove whatever fruit you dislike. With fruit salad, you just can’t go wrong. 😉
- 1 cup red grapes
- 1 cup green grapes
- 2 14oz cans mandarin oranges, drained
- 2 28oz cans pineapple chunks or tidbits, drained
- 1 cup small marshmallows
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped (optional)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine all the fruit.
- Add marshmallows, coconut flakes and pecans and stir to mix.
- In a small bowl, whisk sour cream and sugar until cream feels light to mix.
- Add sour cream mix to fruit mix and mix evenly.
- Chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve cold and enjoy!